I have been thinking of and preparing for my first trip home since I moved to South Africa and while it is still a month or two away I have been thinking of all the food I want to eat when I am back in the US. The first thing that has come to mind (other than some good home cooking at my parents place) was Mexican food and the second thing is the breakfast burritos at Chick Fillet. Now the breakfast burritos from Chick Fillet sounds kind of silly as it’s not really that good and I don’t know why I have been craving one so much, maybe it is just because I can’t have one here. Well I decided that I wanted a good breakfast burritos and the only way I know of to get one in Johannesburg is to make one so I got to work.
The first thing to do is gather up all the ingredients;
- 2 or 3 eggs (depending on how hungry your are)
- Chorizo (I used spicy chorizo which turned out not that spicy)
- Green Chilli
- Green Bell Pepper
- Flower Tortillas
- Cheese (Any cheese will do, I used a sharp white cheddar)
- Salt & Pepper
Dice up the; tomato, onion, chorizo, green pepper and avocado.
To dice up the avocado
- Cut down with your knife until you reach the stone, then run the knife all the way around the avocado to cut it in half
- Twist the two halves and pull them apart
- Strike the stone with the knife to bite into it and twist the knife to remove the stone
- Cut a grid pattern in the avocado
- Scoop everything out with a spoon
Heat up a frying pan until drops of water sizzle when flicked into the pan then melt some butter in the pan
At this point it is a good idea to put two tortillas into the microwave for 30 seconds to soften them up (we are almost ready for assembly)
OK now everything should be cooked so let’s put our burritos together (hint it’s a good time to take the eggs of the heat or they will get over cooked and tough)
Now for the final and most important step; pick one up, take a bite, enjoy, and repeat
I think these burritos were a thousand times better than the ones I have been missing from Chick Fillet and they only take about 15 – 20 minutes to make (unless you are taking pictures of everything then they take about 45 minutes).
Hope you enjoy and will visit us again soon.